Thursday 3 December 2015

Support The Support Band

I read this fantastic article written by the people from a venue from where I live - The Wedgewood Rooms - on support bands.

Read it here: https://wedgewoodrooms.wordpress.com/2015/12/03/support-the-support-band-an-open-letter/

For me this is a very important subject as for every gig I go to I will turn up on time, if not early for doors simply to see the support acts. As I'm writing this I just got back from seeing Don Broco who had 3 support bands, not all of them were good, frankly one of them was verging on dull, but thats not the point. One of them was Arcane Roots, who I really enjoyed and some of the best bands I've seen this year have been supports like Baby Strange, Crows, Arcane Roots, Tiny Moving Parts, Wonk Unit and The London Souls to name but a few.
That's the joy of seeing the support, the article by the people from the wedge talks a lot about the benefit for the bands, but more than anything it's a benefit for the audience as well. A fantastic way of furthering your music collection, finding a new favourite band or seeing someone that, you never know, might make it huge in the near future.
If this doesn't convince you enough (which frankly it should) its getting value for money! I'm paying £20-something to see Enter Shikari early next year, and as much as I love them I want the most for my money so of course I'm going to turn up to see The King Blues and The Wonder Years (both of which are fantastic bands also), it's absurd that anyone could contemplate missing half a gig just because they haven't heard of a band!
So please, when you go to a gig, go early, see the support band. You might find a hidden gem and possibly help further a career in what is a very difficult and competitive industry

No comments:

Post a Comment