Sunday 30 October 2016

Stereo Brain // A Quick Note On New Vs Old Music

DJing in a nightclub can be difficult sometimes, especially in an alternative club - people don't just want a beat to dance to, they want songs they know. This can lead to stagnant sets, clubs playing the same music week in, week out because they know the reaction they get is a safe one. Very rarely in an alternative club, compared to regular clubs, will you hear a song released within the last 6 months played during the night.

I find this strange. Those of us in the alternative scene will often claim they don't listen to the same old manufactured drivel, but when it comes to a night out we'll rarely get that new song that's been making waves in the alternative community. It's a travesty, and I'm guilty of it too, I'd love to play a set of songs from 2016 - I mean I have more songs in my library from this year than any other - but people would leave. It's an issue with the community as a whole rather than exclusively in clubs. People like what they like and would rather spend £60+ on a gig to see an old band than spend £6 on a young band with a lot of promise which they may not know as well.

I find it hard to focus on finding old music, I don't see the benefit in it. I spend all my time focusing on what came out this week; I'm aware of where it came from and it's influences but at the end of the day whats coming out now is the hits of the future. So when I have people my age asking me to play songs from before they were born, my heart breaks a little inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment